Better Business Cases TM Foundation
(course code BBCF2)
The Better Business Cases (BBC) approach is structured around the UK Five Case Model, which provides a disciplined, step by step approach to the development of a robust investment proposal.
Each participant is provided with a solid Foundation in BBC concepts.
The Foundation Course will enable delegates to understand:
- The philosophy and underlying rationale of the Five Case Model, as well as the structure and key terminology of the model;
- The different types of business case, their purpose, who is responsible for them and when they are required in the development of a spending proposal;
- The development of the business case in relation to other recognized and recommended best practice for programme and project management;
- Approaches to implementation and the factors to consider in sustaining progress.
Delegates will be fully prepared for the Foundation exam.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at anyone involved with, or overseeing, a project to understand the work that is necessary to prove a case for investment. In particular, key personnel involved in the preparation of service and capital related schemes. This includes:
- Senior Responsible Owners (SROs), Programme Directors and Project Managers, with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects;
- Directors of Finance, Procurement and Planning, with responsibility for the forward planning of operational aspects of a proposal;
- Members of the Management Board (Chairman, non-executives, the CEO and other directors), with strategic responsibility for approving proposals throughout their life span.
There are no prerequisites for the course, however some exposure to business cases would be useful.
The Foundation Course covers:
- The terms and concepts relating to the Five Case Model;
- How the Strategic Case is developed; the steps and the responsibilities involved;
- How the Economic Case is developed; the steps and the responsibilities involved;
- The terms and concepts of the Commercial Case;
- The terms and concepts of the Financial Case;
- The terms and concepts of the Management Case;
- Purpose of the key stages in the development and delivery of a spending proposal;
- Purpose of a Strategic Outline Programme Case and in what circumstances it should be considered;
- Purpose of a Business Justification Case and in what circumstances it should be considered;
- Purpose of a Strategic Outline Case;
- Purpose of an Outline Business Case;
- Purpose of a Full Business Case;
- Responsibilities for the business planning process;
- Relationship with best practice programme and project management methodologies;
- Relationship between policies, strategies, programmes and projects and their deliverables.
The Foundation Exam is a 40 minute closed book multiple choice exam. You must get at least 25 of the 50 questions correct to pass.
We conduct this exam on behalf of APMG. APMG's terms and conditions are outlined here.
Please note: Exam candidates must bring signed photo ID (passport, driving licence, etc.) as they will be asked to produce it by the invigilator prior to the exam.
We offer a range of delivery styles and packages for this course. Please go to the Packages and Inclusions page to review the inclusions provided with each package.
Successful completion of this course may entitle you to professional development credits:
- For PMI PDUs, check here.
Better Business CasesTM is a trade mark of Her Majesty's Treasury.
The APMG-International Better Business Cases and Swirl Device logo is a trade mark of The APM Group Limited and Her Majesty's Treasury.