MoP ® Foundation
(course code MOPF2)
Management of Portfolios (MoP) is a coordinated collection of strategic processes and decisions that provide a mechanism for organisations to understand, prioritise and balance the resources needed. It enables evaluation of the impact of projects, programmes and change initiatives to realise benefits as early as possible, whilst protecting 'business as usual'.
This course provides you with the knowledge to apply the principles, practices and techniques of portfolio management.
The MoP Combined course blends our Foundation course and Practitioner seminar. Each participant is first provided with a solid Foundation in MoP concepts, and is then advanced to a Practitioner understanding of how to apply Management of Portfolios guidance in practice.
The Foundation Course will enable delegates to understand the:
- scope and objectives of portfolio management and how it differs from programme and project management;
- principles upon which successful portfolio management is based;
- approaches to implementation, the factors to consider in maintaining progress, and how to assess the success of portfolio management;
- purposes of the portfolio management definition and delivery cycles and their component practices, and relevant techniques applicable to each practice;
- purpose and key content of the major portfolio documents;
- scope of key portfolio management roles.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at those involved in a range of formal and informal portfolio management roles encompassing investment decision making, project and programme delivery, and benefits realisation. It is relevant to all those involved in the selection and delivery of business change initiatives including: members of Management Boards and Directors of Change; Senior Responsible Owners (SROs); portfolio, programme, project, business change and benefits managers; and business case writers and project appraisers.
There are no prerequisites for the course, however some exposure to portfolio management would be useful.
The following topics will be covered in the Foundation Course:
- Introduction: What is portfolio management?;
- Value management and its the strategic and organisational context;
- portfolio management principles;
- portfolio management cycles;
- portfolio definition practices;
- portfolio delivery practices;
- portfolio management documents;
- portfolio management roles and responsibilities.
- Preparation for the Foundation Examination.
The Foundation Exam is a 40 minute closed book multiple choice exam. A candidate must get at least 25 of the 50 questions correct to pass.
We conduct these exams on behalf of APMG. APMG's terms and conditions are outlined here.
Please note: Exam candidates must bring signed photo ID (passport, driving licence, etc.) as they will be asked to produce it by the invigilator prior to the exam.
Delivery Options and Fees
We offer a range of delivery styles and packages for this course. Please go to the Packages and Inclusions page to review the inclusions provided with each package.
Candidates who pass the Practitioner exam are entitled to style themselves "Registered MoP Practitioner" on CVs and business cards.
Registered MoP Practitioners are required to be re-registered within 3-5 years of their original certification. We offer an MoP Reregistration seminar.
Successful completion of this course may entitle you to professional development credits:
- For PMI PDUs, check here.
We recommend our Benefits Management and MoV value management courses.
MoP® is a Registered Trade Mark of AXELOS Limited
The Swirl logo™ is a Trade Mark of AXELOS Limited